Sincere thanks to Julie Neale for her generous donation of information and photographs of Colonists on this ship.
By Ida M. Forsyth THE Brightman, a barque of 400 tons, with 105 passengers on board, set sail from Plymouth on August 15, and arrived in South Australia on December 13, 1840. On the passenger list appeared the names of Frederick Hannaford. W. Hynes, W. Lean, Andrew Shillabeer, J. Pederick. Mrs. Gallagher, S. Lean, James C. Verco, Mrs. S. Massey, R. R. Torrens and wife. George Morphett, J. J. Selby, J. C. Steadman. Mrs. J. P. Bray, Mrs. Mark Watson, Philip Santo. William Cornish. G. Hannaford and wife, W. K. Wooldridge, William Dunn, Elizabeth Hooper, sen. On board was Robert Richard Torrens (afterwards knighted), the originator of the Real Property Act, which has been made a model for legislation all over the world. Brightman Descendants Miss Patsy Verco Clutterbuck, the representative of the Brightman inthe Kuitpocompetition, is a great-grand daughter of James C. Verco, who arrived in this ship. The late Sir Joseph Verco, so well-known in Adelaide, was a son of James C. Verco. Mr. Verco was an outstanding figure inthe business world of early South Australia, and was for several years a member of Parliament. Descendants in South Australia to day of thepioneersinthe Brightman include:- Dr. W. A. Verco, Dr. Stanley Verco, Dr. Clem Verco, Dr. Jack Verco, Dr. Ron Verco, Mrs. Eric McMichael, Miss E. M. Verco, Sister Olive Verco. Mr. and Mrs. Frank Verco, Mr. Phil Verco, Mrs. Stanley Clutterbuck. and Mrs. H. O'Halloran Giles.
News Monday 17 August 1936 page 6
BAKER James, Anna SIMSON, daughter, son, 3 daughters
Adelaide Hospital Index Baker James,age 50 Born Plymouth England Ship “Brightman” In colony 16 Years Occupation Slaughterman Dr Mayo Fracture of leg Discharged 26 November 1856
BAKER, Anna nee SIMSON
CAVENETT John, Eliza SLUMAN, Henry, Mary Ann (d@sea), Elizabeth, John
Baptised 25 October 1807 at Westleigh, Devon. The voyage to Australia was filled with sorrow with the death of his wife Eliza and eldest daughter Mary Ann. John and this remaining children lived at Oxenbury Farm in Willunga, and he remarried in 1841 to Eliza Waer at the Holy Trinity Church, Adelaide. The marriage produced two children but in 1844 at the age of 35 years John died of Apoplexy. His wife at the time was pregnant and soon to deliver and had the care of four children. She applied for assistance to Governor Sir George grey.
CAVENETT, Eliza nee SLUMAN 1807 - Died at sea on voyage to Australia
CAVENETT, Henry 1832 - 03 November 1876 at Ingerson's Gap, Broughton, SA
Married Mary BROWN 29 August 1861 at St. Mark's Church Penwortham, SA
AGRICULTURAL AREAS.-- The following Sections at £1 an acre have been taken up in Agricultural areas during November: — Area of Broughton, Hundred Red Hill, Henry Cavenett, 141 acres; 1 December 1870 Evening Journal Adelaide AGRICULTURAL AREAS.-- Selections of land under the new Act, which requires the payment of 10 per cent, as deposit, were made at £1 per acre, from April 6 to 12, as follows :—Area Hundred Red Hill—26, Henry Cavenett, 159 14 April 1871 Evening Journal Adelaide
CAVENETT.— On the 3rd November 1876, at Ingerson's Gap, Broughton, of cancer, Henry Cavenett, aged 44 years, deeply regretted. On Tuesday 5 February 1878, Mary Cavenett advertised for sale the Farm 1 Mile from Collinsfield selling Farm Stock, Implements, Stack of Hay , Horse-corn and Sundries and was state to be relinquishing farming.
CAVENETT, Mary Ann Died at sea on voyage to Australia
CAVENETT, Elizabeth 1834 - 01 September 1884 at Kadina, SA
Married William SHADWELL 09 September 1852 at the Holy Trinity Church, Adelaide.
SHADWELL.—On the 1st September 1884, at the residence of Mr. J. J. Christmas, Kadina, after a painful illness, Eliza, the beloved wife of William Shadwell, of Barunga, aged 49 years, leaving a husband, one son, and five daughters to mourn their loss " She sleeps in Jesus."
CAVENETT, John 1838 - 25 October 1916 at Port Pirie, SA
On Wednesday morning one of Port Pirie's oldest residents, Mr John Cavenett, died at his residence, Solomon town. Deceased, whose age was 79 years, had been in feeble health for some months, so that his death was not altogether unexpected. Mr. Cavenett was born in Devonshire, and came to South Australia in 1840 in the ship Brightman, being a fellow passenger of Sir Richard Torrens. He first settled at Strathalbyn, but came to the north about 43 years ago, and settled at Red Hill, where he engaged in farming operations. After relinquishing farming he for many years followed the pursuits incidental to pioneering, He removed to Port Pirie in 1882, and claimed that he was one of the first to cart wool from the Nelshaby station to this port. In later years Mr. Cavenett had been employed" by the Corporation in park lands work, he leaves besides a widow, four sons and four daughters. The sons are :-.Messrs. H. J. (Port Pirie Hotel), Horace (Petersburg), Oscar (Jamestown), and Lionel (Postal Department, Burnside). The daughters are :-Mesdames Jackson (St. Peters), C.N. .Smith (Port Pirie),. Thos. Footner (Port Pirie), and T. Owens (Alberton). There are 21 grand children, and two great-grandchildren.
Port Pirie Recorder and Western Mail Thursday 26 October 1916 page 1
CORNISH Thomas Vivian, Grace AMBROSE, Benjamin, Ann, Jane, Thomas, William, Ebenezer, Henry, James
CORNISH, Thomas Vivian Died 02 April 1870 at Port Elliot, SA
Thomas Vivian Cornish and Grace Ambrose were married in Devon, on 13th June 1822. Thomas’ family can be traced back several generations at Malborough on the south coast of Devon. After their marriage, Thomas and Grace began raising a family at Plymouth, and later at Modbury and Holbeton, south of Dartmoor. On 31 July 1840, both Thomas and his eldest son, Benjamin, applied for passage as free emigrants to South Australia. The family, now with 7 surviving children, embarked on the ship “Brightman” in August 1840, and arrived at Holdfast Bay on 12 December 1840. The family found accommodation sharing a house, in Currie Street Adelaide, with the Verco family who were also on board the “Brightman”. The remaining 2 children were born in Adelaide and Thomas began farming at Stepney/Payneham and Chain of Ponds.
The 1849 Almanack/ S.A. Directory has T.V.Cornish as a brewer in Grenfell St, as well as a listing in the Country Directory ‘on the Torrens’ In 1851, a Thomas Cornish is listed as a commissioner in the District Council of Talunga. “Payneham: Garden Village to City” has several references to our T.V. Cornish: In 1853, a leaseholder of a S.A. Company section at Payneham was “Thomas Vivian Cornish who had succeeded already as an orchardist at Gumeracha and was now bringing his family closer to Adelaide …’ “T.V. Cornish, on Company Section 281, …….. held slaughtering licences for short periods, but being farther removed from neighbours and passing traffic they caused no complaints.” [Section 281] “… sublet to Thomas Cornish who owned orchards and vineyards in Stepney and who, for the short period of its existence, managed the co-operative wine and distilling firm, forerunner of Tolley, Scott and Tolley in Stepney. In 1860, Cornish preparing for his retirement auctioned off his farm animals and equipment: ‘fat cows, 5 heifers, and steers fit for the knife’ as well as a cart horse and a season’s crop of hay, oats and wheat. By that time Cornish had taken over the principal lease …. sub-letting a number of blocks to farmers …” Adelaide Almanack of 1864 still lists T.V.Cornish as a farmer, Payneham Rd, Stepney, and Benjamin [his son] as a farmer, Middleton.
CORNISH, Grace nee AMBROSE Died 16 May 1869 at Stepney, SA
CORNISH, Benjamin Died 10 April 1900 at Maylands, SA
EARLY SETTLERS OF PORT ELLIOT DISTRICT. THE LATE MR. BENJAMIN CORNISH. Born in England, near Plymouth, Devonshire, the late Mr, Benjamin Cornish was 15 years of age when, with his parents, he embarked upon the perilous voyage to South Australia in the ship "Brightman” (Captain Nockells), and arrived in the State on December 17th, 1840. There were seven young children, and three were born later.
Married Sabina HOOPER 29 July 1848 at Residence of the Groom, Pirie Street, Adelaide.
CORNISH.— On the 10th April (suddenly) at his residence, Augusta-street, Maylands, Benjamin, dearly loved husband of Sabina Cornish, aged 75 years. At rest till Jesus comes
CORNISH, Ann Born 12 August 1827 - Died 17 September 1902 at Kenton Valley, SA
Ann married fellow passenger of the Brightman, George William HANNAFORD 05 September 1846 at Hartley Vale, SA
The deceased has left six sons— Messrs. John Hannaford (Riverton), Samuel Hannaford (Queensland), George Hannaford (Cudlee Greek), Stephen Hannaford (Hatchlands); William Hannaford (Saddleworth) and Albert Hannaford (Mount Torrens)— and one daughter—Mrs Rowe (Kaniva, Victoria). There are 36 grand-children and several great-grandchildren.
CORNISH, Jane Born 08 June 1829 at Holbeton, Devonshire, England - Died 02 August 1885 at Norwood, SA
Jane married Robert REDMAN on 10 August 1851 at the Aenon Chapel, Kenton Valley, SA The couple had a family of 7 boys and 2 girls. Her husband Robert became interested in the working of the the local council and was elected chairman of the Talunga District Council in 1856, during which time he wrote letters regarding the possibility of a new school in the North Gumeracha district, He had also purchased a farm property in the area. There is a record of his erecting a bridge at Chain of Ponds in 1862. During the 1860's Robert and Jane moved to the Victor Harbor area and their last two children were born at Port Elliot. There was more work to be found in this area, and one of Robert's achievements as as contractor for the first railway line (horse drawn initially) between Port Elliot and Victor Harbor built in 1863/64. He was also involved in building the first breakwater at Victor Harbor. After a few years the family moved once again to Kingston in the South East where Robert was involved in the construction of the embankment for the first five miles of Reedy Creek Road across the swamps. He was also responsible for building many other stop banks and drains to control flood water in the district, as well as building many bridges and roads. He was active in local affairs, in 1873 the Council of Lacepede received its proclamation and Robert became its first chairman. He served int he central ward for 10 years and then although he chose to retire, was elected to serve the north Ward.
CORNISH, Thomas Born 08 June 1832 at Holbeton, Devonshire, England - Died 05 November 1907 at St. Peters, SA
Married Sarah Ann JACQUES 05 February 1857 at Christ Church North Adelaide. They had a family of 5 boys and 2 girls.
Mr. Thomas Cornish, one of the oldest residents of the State, died at St. Peters at the age of 75 years: The deceased gentleman was born in Devonshire, and spent 67 years in this State. Mr. Cornish carried on a watchmaker's establishment in Rundle-street for over 30 years, and he was held in high esteem for probity in business. Messrs. A. J. Cornish (jeweller) and Mr. M. Cornish (of the operating staff of the Telegraph Department) are sons, and Mr. E. L. Theel (of Elder, Smith, & Co.) is a son-in-law. The Chronicle 23 Nov 1907
CORNISH, William Born 11 April 1834 at Holbeton, Devonshire, England - Died 02 October 1904 at Gumeracha, SA
William married Alice Caroline RUSH on 19 March 1857 at the Residence of Isaac RUSH, Adelaide.
October 4 - Mr. W. Cornish died on Sunday at the age of 70. He was born in England in 1834, and arrived in South Australia six years later. For over 0 years he had lived in this district, and was a prominent member of the branch Agricultural Bureau, and also a district councillor. In addition, he had been one of the chief supporters of the Salem Baptist Church for nearly half a century. A valedictory social was tendered to him at that church in February last, just before he left South Australia with his wife for a trip to England. They returned three weeks ago. Mr Cornish being in ill-health at the time and is death was not unexpected. Besides his widow he left four sons and five daughters, namely: - Mr. B. Cornish, of Forreston; Mrs. W.H. Cornish of Forreston; Mrs. H.V. Cornish, of Kenton Valley; Mr. A.E. Cornish of Gumeracha; Mrs. W. Jamieson, of Forreston; Mrs. J. Billingsley of Gumeracha; Mrs. A Cornish of Gumeracha, and Miss Cornish, of Gumeracha.
CORNISH, Ebenezer Born 31 March 1836 at Holbeton, Devonshire, England - Died 26 November 1873 at Port Augusta, SA
Ebenezer married Frances Elizabeth JAQUES on 27 June 1857 at the Christ Church, North Adelaide and had a family of 1 girl and 5 boys. CORNISH.— On the 26th November, at Port Augusta, of exhaustion from over - exertion whilst bathing, Ebenezer Cornish, aged 37 years.
CORNISH, Henry Born 14 March 1837 at Holbeton, Devonshire, England - Died 30 August 1975 at Kent Town, SA
Henry married Elizabeth WHEATON on 09 May 1861 at the Trinity Church Adelaide and had a family of 2 boys and 2 girls.
DEATHOF MR. HENRY CORNISH. — Our obituary notices record the deathofMr.Henry Cornish,of Messrs. D. & W. Murray's warehouse, which occurred on Monday, August 30, at his residence, Kent Town. On Tuesday evening last the deceased was seized with severe pains, and during the night and the next day Drs. Campbell and Way were sent for. They found him suffering from interception of the bowels, and prescribed for him accordingly; but from the first the disease assumed a very severe form, and gradually progressed to a fatal termination. Mr.Cornish was well known to a large circle of friends, and was much respected as a business man and as an earnest worker in religious matters. He had been in the employ of Messrs. D. & W. Murray for upwards of 12 years, and had secured the esteem of all who were associated with him in the establishment. Mr.Cornish leaves a widow and two children.
Evening Journal Tuesday 31 August 1875 page 2
CORNISH, James Born 11 May 1840 at Holbeton, Devonshire, England - Died 22 October 1902 at Port Adelaide, SA
James married Mary Susanna WHEATON on 28 May 1862 at the Residence of Mrs. Jacob Abbott, Adelaide. They had a family of 8 boys and 4 girls
The first church in the Stanbury district was the "Christian Church," better known as "The Little Glory." It was opened for worship in December, 1875, with Pastor J. Cornish in charge. Prior to its opening, services were held in the homes around the district.
Pastor James Cornish, of Woodburn, near Stansbury, who died at Port Adelaide on Wednesday morning, was a typical old colonist, who was well known in Adelaide in the early days. He arrived in South Australia in 1840, and was a prominent member of Zion Chapel for several years. He was also connected with the chapel at Stepney. He subsequently settled near Stansbury, where he carried on business as a farmer and fruit grower. He acted as pastor of the Stansbury Christian Chapel for a number of years, and was highly respected by the residents in that district. The deceased gentleman had been in precarious health for a considerable time, and decided to go to Port Adelaide for medical treatment. He left his home on Monday, but during the voyage across the gulf his condition became so much worse that his attendants feared he would not live until the vessel reached her destination. All efforts to revive him after he was landed at Port Adelaide proved futile, and he passed away on Wednesday morning, after a protracted period of unconsciousness. Mr. Cornish has left a widow, five sons, and four daughters. Messrs. E. Cornish jeweller, of Pirie Street. W. Cornish, of Gumeracha, and Robert Cornish, of Uraidla, are brothers of the deceased. The Register Friday 24 October 1902 page 5
CRIMP John, Charlotte Matilda (wife)
CRIMP, John Died 09 May 1902 at Brighton, SA
Buried St. Jude's Anglican Cemetery, Brighton
Mr. John Crimp, of Dodbrook House, Brighton, died at bis residence last week at the advanced age of 83 years. The deceased gentleman and his first wife arrived at Holdfast Bay by the ship Brightman on December 17, 1840. He commenced business as a coachmaker in Hindley-Street, and afterwards removed to Grenfell-street, and achieved a well-merited reputation as being one of the best coach builders in Australia. He built all the waggons and vans used in the construction of the overland telegraph line, and was awarded a medal and certificate of merit for Abbot buggies at the Sydney Exhibition of 1879. In addition to the coachmaking business, the deceased, in partnership with the late Mr. E. Cartwright, and afterwards with Mr. T. Jones, ran the first line of three penny omnibuses between Adelaide and North Adelaide, from November, 1871, till April, 1875. Mr. Crimp retired from business in 1888 and for the past nine years had been bedridden. His first wife predeceased him in 1876, and he married Miss Morley in 1877, who survives him. Twenty years ago he purchased a portion of the Dunrobin estate at Brighton, and had resided in the district since. 'A somewhat singular experience happened to Mr. Crimp and his family while living in Grenfell-street. Mr. Joubert had dug a cellar on the next premises, and early one morning the house subsided and fell into the excavation, the family having a very narrow escape from death. The funeral took place on Sunday afternoon, and was largely attended.
Chronicle Saturday 17 May 1902 page 34
CRIMP, Charlotte Matilda Died 26 November 1875 at Adelaide, SA
CRIMP.—On the 25th November, at Grenfell street, CharlotteMatilda, the beloved wife of Mr. J. Crimp, coach-builder, aged 56 years. A colonist of 35 years. Buried West Terrace Cemetery Road 1 North, Path 14 Site 1
DANIEL John, Elizabeth
Maria married William POLLARD on 04 June 1942 at the Holy Trinity Church, Adelaide.
DONEY Samuel, Johanna FOLLAND, John, Margaret, Archibald, William, Sophia
DONEY, Samuel Died 08 January 1885 at Nairne, SA
After the death of his wife Johanna , Samuel remarried to widow Anne STAFFORD on 28 January 1878 at St. James Church, Blakiston. He died at the residence of his daughter Mrs. J. Tillys, Nairne, aged 87 years.
One of our oldest residents and a very old colonist, CaptainSamuelDoney, was removed from our midst by death on the 8th inst., at the ripe age of 87 years. The deceased was engaged in mining pursuits in the district for many years when the mining interest was in full swing, and was generally respected. For many years, however, he has been living a retired life.
Adelaide Observer Saturday 24 January 1885 page 16
DONEY, Johanna nee FOLLAND Died 01 July 1871 near Nairne, SA
Buried Blakiston St. James Church Cemetery with her son John
DONEY, Margaret Died 23 September 1866 at Ballarat, Vic.
Margaret married Thomas BIRCH on 18 January 1853 at Trinity Church, Adelaide. They had a family of 4 daughters and 3 sons and she died in Ballarat, Vic.
DONEY, Archibald Died 20 September 1907 at Magill, SA
Archibald married widow Emma GILLETT on 20 March 1855 at the Trinity Church, Adelaide. She was 11 years his senior. She was licencee of the District Hotel Nairne and transferred the licence into his name in June 1855. He relinquished the Licence on 31 March 1858 and then was licencee of the Beehive Hotel Nairne from 27 March 1861 - 5 April 1864.
DONEY, John Died 15 May 1846 at Blakiston, SA
John died aged 11 years and is buried in the Blakiston St. James Anglican Cemetery with his mother.
DONEY, William Died 27 September 1905 at East Moonta, SA
William married Katharine JEFFERY on 16 November 1857 at St. James Anglican Church, Blakiston. He is buried in the Moonta Cemetery.
Another old resident of the district passed away on Wednesday in the person of the late Mr William Doney, of East Moonta, aged 67 years and 5 months. The deceased gentleman who was well-know and respected, had suffered from a long illness, being incapacitated from work tor about 20 years. He was a colonist of about 65 years and prior to coming to this district resided at Nairne. He leaves a grown-up family. The funeral is to take place this (Friday) afternoon.
Yorkes Peninsula Advertiser Friday 29 September 1905 page 2
DONEY, Sophia Died 07 January 1866 at Kensington, SA
Sophia married Thomas NELSON on 13 May 1858 at the residence of Samuel DONEY, Spring Valley. She died 7 years later aged 26 years.
FOX, Richard Haydon, Emma L (wife), 3 sons inc Wm Haydon
GALLAGHER Mrs GILBERT William, wife GORMAN Norey/Norah HALL James, Elizabeth GLANVILLE, Isaac, Martha Bealy, Jas, John Hy (d@sea) HALL Robert John Alexander HALLS James, Elizabeth (TREGEAR?), 5 dau inc (Susan?), (Cath?), Grace HAMLEY James, Mary Ann JESSOP
HANNAFORD Susannah nee ELLIOTT, ch Richard Elliott, George Williams, William, Elizabeth Joan, Frederick, John Elliott
HANNAFORD, Susannah nee ELLIOTT
HANNAFORD, Richard Elliott
HANNAFORD, George Williams On Monday Mr. George Hannaford, sen., of Hatchlandss, near Gumeracha, passed away. He was an old and useful colonist, having lived in this state for nearly 64 years. He was born in the parish of Totness, Devonshire, in August, 1822. With his mother, five brothers and sister he came' to. South Australia in the ship Brightman. The late Sir Richard Torrens was a passenger by the same vessel, which arrived at Holdfast Bay about 64 years ago. Mr. Hannaford carried his mother ashore in his arms on New Year's day, 1840. Immediately after his arrival he settled at Unley, and assisted in building the first wheatstack in South Australia. This was for the South Australian Company at Hackney. About 1842 he came to the Gumeracha district, and lived near Hartley Yale. While there he married Miss Cornish, a shipmate, and sister of, Mr. W. Cornish, of Gumeracha. His wife passed away, at the age of 76 years, 15 months ago. His mother died at Riverton nearly 40 years ago. ' The late Mr. Frederick Hannaford, M.P, was a brother. Shortly after his arrival in the District of Gumeracha he took up land at Hatch lands Estate, and remained there till his decease. The late Mr. Hannaford built the first chapel in this district at Hartley Vale, and later was the prime mover in erecting a Union Church at Cudlee Creek. He took charge of the South Australian Company's' cattle at the lakes when the natives were very troublesome. The ship Maria, just before, had been wrecked, and the crew killed by the aboriginals. This experience fanned their barbarous propensities, and they were regarded as very dangerous. In spite of this, Mr. Hannaford stuck to his post in a district where the blacks were numerous. He was also a pioneer in apple and wheat growing here. He was actively interested in public matters. On September 26, 1898, he and his late wife celebrated their golden wedding. The deceased has left six sons - Messrs. John Hannaford (Riverton), Samuel Hannaford (Queensland), George Hannaford (Cudlee Creek), Stephen Hannaford (Hatchlands), William Hannaford (Saddleworth, and Albert Hannaford (Mount Torrens, )- and one daughter - Mrs. Rowe (Kaniva, Victoria). There are 36 grand children and several great-grandchildren.
Observer Saturday 02 January 1904 page 39
HANNAFORD, Elizabeth Joan
HANNAFORD, John Elliott
HARDY / HARDEY William, wife (d aft arr?), son HARWARD Thomas, wife (Amelia Rickman PERRERS?) HILL James, Mary BURGOYNE, My Ann, Jas HILL John, Fanny BAKER, Fanny Eliz Brightman (b@sea) HILL John, wife HILL nee ABSCOTT Sarah (w), Mary, Hrt HOOPER Elizabeth snr
HYNE, William, Elizabeth LUCKHAM, son (Rd?), dau (My Jane?), 2 sons (inc Wm Hy?)
HYNE, Elizabeth nee LUCKHAM
LEAN Joseph, Grace GOLDSWORTHY, Joseph, John, Thomas, William, Mary, Richard, James, Sarah Ann, Francis, Stephen
Mr. William Lean, aged 90 years, a colonist of 70 years died at Widow House, Waymouth-street, on Monday morning. He was born at Beer Alston, Devonshire, in 1820, and arrived at Glenelg in the ship Brightman on December l8, 1840. Subsequently he was engaged in mining pursuits,and opened up the Strathalbyn mines, and -was one of the pioneers of the Bendigo and Ballarat diggings, the Kadina and Moonta mines, and also the old silver mines at Glen Osmond. His experience in this direction was vast, and in the early days he was well known as a mining captain. He was one of the oldest members of the Manchester Unity, and also assisted in the survey of many of the original properties of the South Australian Company. In conjunction with Inspector Tolmer he was connected with the first South Australian gold escort. His varied pursuits in the infancy of the State included that of mounted and police constable, and he was also the proprietor of a butcher's establishment. He shot dingoes on the spot where the General Post-Office now stands, and black fellows' camps in King William-street were familiar sights to him. Mr. Lean married twice, but his first wife died about 44 years ago. Mr. Lean was a member of a family noted for the ripe old ages they attained. A brother, aged 94 is living in Western Australia, and another brother n New Zealand has attained three score years and ten. Up to the time of his death Mr. Lean was in full possession of all his faculties. His second wife and five children survive him. Thirty-eight grandchildren and 35 great-grandchildren are still alive.
Chronicle Saturday 25 December 1909 page 48
LEAN, Sarah Ann Mrs. S. A. Jackson. an old resident of the Nairne district, passed away on Saturday at the age of 79 years. Born at Lostwithiel, Cornwall, in 1830, she came to the Stale with her father (the late Mr. Joseph Lean), mother, and eight, brothers in the ship Brightman arriving in 1840. She first resided at Nairne, and afterwards at Staughton Village, and in 1840 was married to the late Mr. Henry F. Jackson by Dean Farrill in Trinity Church, Adelaide. She lived successively at Kanmantoo, Callington. and Nairne, and at the last named place resided for the past 28 yearn Mr. Jackson died 19 years ago. The surviving members of the family are Messrs. Henry F. Jackson, of Albury; Inkehnan Jackson, of Mount Barker; John B. Jackson, of Stratlialbyn; and Frank L. Jackson and Miss A. Jackson, of Nairne; Mrs. Conzner, Paskeville; Mrs. Brown, Port Pirie; Mrs. R. McKenzie, Semaphore; and Mrs. J. Kimher. Port Pirie; 26 grandchildren, and six great-grandchildren. Mr. William Lean, of Adelaide (who is 90 years of age), Mr. Richard Lean, of New Zealand, and Mr. Stephen Lean, of Western Australia, are brothers.
Observer Saturday 18 December 1909 page 36
LEAN, Stephen Captain Stephen Lean, who died at his residence in Albert-Street, Goodwood, on Monday, in his ninetieth year, had been one of the best-known mining men both in South Australia and Western Australia over a long period. Born in 1834 at Lost- withiel, Cornwall, he was the youngest of a family of eight brothers and two sisters who arrived with their parents at Port Adelaide by the ship Brightman in 1840. The family first settled in the Mount Barker district, and in 1852 Captain Lean went overland with his brother to the Ballarat diggings. Meeting with fair success, they returned to South Australia, but paid a second visit to the Victorian fields. Settling then at Nairne, Captain Lean married Miss Bray, of that town, the wedding party riding on horseback to Trinity Church, Adelaide, for the ceremony. A long and happy married life followed, and the sixty-fifth anniversary of the wedding was celebrated in Adelaide. Mrs. Lean, however, died two years ago, when 87 years of age. Captain Lean was manager of the Mid-Moonta copper mine in its early days, and later was in charge of the Crystal and Queen gold mines at Echunga, with other properties near by. The lure of mining was always strong with him, and at the time of the Tarcoola discovery he walked thither from Hergott Springs. In 1895 he went to Western Australia, and was there when Boulder City was laid out. Three yearn later he went north to Derby to inspect a copper mine for an Adelaide syndicate. Altogether he spent nearly ten years in the western State, and furnished many reports to those requiring them. Captain Lean leaves six daughters (Mesdames W. C. Rowe, Boulder City): W. J. Goldsmith, Dulwich; A. Sandercock, Goodwood; A. Schmidt, Mitcham; .T. D. Bright, Perth, and A K. Hill, Goodwood) and three sons (Messrs. Joseph Lean, North Adelaide: Stepben Lean, Lid-combe, New South Wales, and Richard Lean, Goodwood). There are eighteen grandchildren and also eighteen great-grandchildren.
The Advertiser Wednesday 09 April 1924 page 13
LUCKHAM Jane (w) MERCER Richard
MITCHELL Richard, Ann PHILLIPS, son (Rd?), dau (My?)
MITCHELL, Elizabeth Mrs. Elizabeth Walts, who died sudden at Norwood a few days ago, was a colonist of 60 years, having arrived in South Australia in the ship Brightman, with her parents (Mr. and Mrs. Richard Mitchell) in 1840. Mr. Mitchell was for some years connected with the Burra Burra Copper Mines, and it was in that township that deceased married Mr. Mark Watts, who predeceased, her by 19 years. For 25 years Mrs. Watts and her husband resided at Kapunda, where they were highly respected. Five children survive—Messrs. J.M. (Norwood), and A. T- (Kalgoorlie), and Mesdauies Mclntyre and Malcolm (Victoria) and Bond (Plympton).
Observer Saturday 16 July 1910 page 38
George Morphett was born in London to Solicitor Nathaniel Morphett and his wife Mary nee Gliddon Cummins Ide Devon. In 1833 he travelled to Egypt to meet up with his brother John. Together they travelled through Egypt, then on to Italy. George then returned to England and in 1835 he married Anne Hitchcock. In 1840 he and his wife immigrated to South Australia. He arrived on board the Brightman in December of that year, along with Mr Robert Torrens. The Morphett family set up house in North Adelaide, and George set up in the city in legal practice. Unable to settle they returned to England, but as with many more recent migrants, when they were back in England they missed South Australia. In 1846 with three children, he and his wife returned to Adelaide aboard the Enmore. One of the children, Adelaide Sturt Morphett was born on the ship on the way over. Adelaide Sturt Morphett or Henderson as she later became, is consistently referred to as the daughter of John Morphett, George’s elder brother. Whilst in England George was able to lobby the board of the South Australia Company on behalf of brother John, who was anxious to build a railway line from the city to Port Adelaide. George was appointed to the colonial board of the Adelaide Railway Line to the Port. John had already been appointed a director of the South Australian Railway Company in Adelaide. When the people of Mount Barker were looking to build a church, George Morphett donated the land, and St. James Church was built in that town. He was appointed a director of The South Australian Marine & Fire & Life Assurance Company, as well as The Bank of South Australia, and a director of several mining Companies in the colony. In March 1860 he was elected to The South Australian House of Assembly, in the seat of West Torrens. He was a supporter of Robert Torrens’s Real Property Act. This was the act that simplified the process of changing ownership of Land Titles, and came to be known as Torrens Titles. George Morphett was involved in a number of property transactions in Adelaide. A consortium of Jewish businessmen were looking for a place to build a Synagogue, George Morphett sold them a block of land on Rundle Street. Another businessman in Rundle Street George Hunt a wealthy draper was looking to buy a block of land to build a home to retire to. George Morphett sold him the Tranmere Estate. Soon after this sale he again left South Australia. He left on the Orient on the 31st of October 1860. He was never to return to the colony. His resignation was received by Parliament in April 1861. He died in England in 1893.
PEDERICK William, Mary Ann ADAMS, Wm Hy, Susan, Jas Adams, John PERRETT John PUGSLEY Richard, Ann Grace (wife), dau (Annie?) ROBERTS William, wife, dau, son, 2 dau ROGERS Mary Ann SAMPSON Eliza SANDERY Thomas, Elizabeth WILLIAMS, 2 dau (My Ann, Susan Jane?), Wm SANTO Philip, Elizabeth PAYNE SELBY B J
SHILLABEER, Andrew, Sophia DOWN, Ellen Sophia, William Henry, Agnes, Andrew, Sophia Down, Sarah Jane, Maria, Samuel Roe
SHILLABEER, Andrew SHILLABEER, Sophia nee DOWN SHILLABEER, Ellen Sophia SHILLABEER, William Hnery SHILLABEER, Agnes
SHILLABEER, Andrew jnr.
SHILLABEER, Sophia Down SHILLABEER, Sarah Jane SHILLABEER, Maria SHILLABEER, Samuel Roe
SLEMAN, John Cundy
Surgeon Superintendent MR. SLEMAN, late Surgeon-Superintendent of the Brightman, has commenced the practice of his profession in Morphett-street, opposite Trinity Church. Adelaide, Jan. 23, 1841.
J.C. Sleman, Esq., who proceeds with the Symmetry to London, in the capacity of surgeon, was entertained on Monday to a farewell dinner by a large party of gentlemen to whom he has been well known in the colony. Mr. Sleman has for some time abandoned the practise of his profession, and devoted himself to mining pursuits, which have hitherto turned out more patriotic than profitable. South Australian Register Wednesday 09 December 1846
SMALLACOMBE Thomas, Mary Anne Hannah (wife), Philip, Wm, My Jane
SMALLACOMBE, William THE LATE MR. AND MRS. SMALLACOMBE. It will be learned with deep regret by his many friends that Mr. William James SmaIlacombe died at his residence Yongala on May 21st. Mr. Smalllacombe arrived from Plymouth, England, in the ship "Brightman" in 1840. He settled with his parents at Woodside, where he followed farming pursuits. There he remained until his marriage with Miss Elizabeth Greig, of Woodside, in 1864, when removed to Kapunda and was amongst the early pioneers of the district. After 14 years residence there he removed to (Wattle Hill) Gladstone, where he remained until retiring in Petersburg. For the last 3 years he had lived in Yongala, he had not enjoyed good health since his illness of 7 years ago. He arrived in the State at the age of 5 years and at the time of his death was a colonist of 71 years. His wife survived him only three days. She arrived from Scotland in 1853,and settled with her parents at Woodside where she was married to Mr. Smallacombe. The deceased couple left a family of 8 children, and 20 grand children. Mr. Smallacombe will be much missed in the Yongala district where he was a good townsman; a lovable old man; of a very kind disposition; and greatly endeared himself to home and family. His departed wife will also be missed among a huge circle of friends. Both funerals were largely attended.
Petersburg Times Friday 02 June 1911 page 3
STUMBLES, Samuel, Amelia (wife), Charles (b@sea, d aft arr)
TORRENS, Robert Richard, Barbara Ainslie Anson nee PARK
TORRENS, Robert Richard
In 1839 he married Barbara, daughter of Alexander Park, of Selkirk, North Britain. In 1840 he was appointed Collector of Customs In South Australia. The Real Property Act, as the measure establishing his new mode of transferring land was named, became law in January, 1853, and Mr. Torrens, at the request of the Government and many friends of the measure, left Parliament, and took the position of Registrar General in order to bring the system into thorough operation, and organise the department by which it was to be administered. In 1863 Mr. Torrens left South Australia and returned to the old country, but he has never ceased to interest himself in the affairs of the colony that is indebted to him for such lasting benefits. The Advertiser 3rd September 1884
TORRENS, Barbara Ainslie Anson nee PARK
TREGEA Mary TURNER Daniel William, Jane DUDMAN, dau
VERCO, James Crabb, Ann COOKE
VERCO, James Crabb
Courtesy of the State Library of South Australia
VERCO, Ann nee COOKE
VERCO John WATSON Mrs Mark WESTLAKE William John Tucker, Catherine STUMBLES WILLIAMS John, wife, dau, son, Eliz Ann WILLIAMS John, Ann HARMAN, 2 sons, Susannah
WOOLDRIDGE William K, Mary MORRIS, (Wm) Rd, dau (Susannah?)
WOOLRIDGE, Mary nee MORRIS Another old colonist has passed away in the person of Mrs. Wooldridge, sen., who died at her residence, Qneenstown, on Wednesday, at the venerable age of eighty five. Mrs. Wooldridge came to the oolony with her husband and two children in 1840, In the ship Brightman, one of the old type of naval architecture. The new colonists settled down at Port Adelaide, which place they never left. Mr. Wooldridge, who died about thirty years ago, was a well-known and much respected identity of the district. Mrs. Wooldridge has left two sons, four daughters, and a number of grandchildren. The eldest son is a Councillor for Centre Ward in the Port Adelaide Corporation.
Evening Journal Friday 14 March 1890 page 3
Create your own unique website with customizable templates.